Urban Eatin’ Landscapes
(Job Posted July 2015)
Urban Eatin’ Landscapes is hiring! We are a worker-owned and worker-operated business that promotes food security and urban food gardens. We offer garden design services, design installation, a variety of workshops, garden mentorship, and compost services. We work with both residential clients and community organizations including schools, youth centres and non-profits. We are looking for an individual who is highly self-motivated and willing to commit long-term to developing Urban Eatin’. We aim to include members that have varied and complementary skills and experience, as well as new ideas and passions to further the food security movement.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Employee duties are delegated and overseen by the co-op member leading a specific job, and include:
- Meeting at our workshop to load tools and equipment.
- Moving soil, wood, tools, equipment and plants around various job sites.
- Preparing the ground for planting; tilling and digging in a variety of outdoor conditions.
- Planting/seeding/transplanting annual vegetables, perennials, and trees/shrubs.
- Weeding extensively by hand, and also watering, trimming, pruning and harvesting.
- Analyzing and salvaging reusable materials such as wood.
- Building/installing raised beds and compost bins; cutting wood, drilling, nailing, de-nailing, etc.
- Acting as liaison with the public and private sectors: developing community relations.
- Assisting members in customer service and client consultations and designs.
- Communicating regularly with office co-ordinator and other members via email and phone.
Employees will also be involved in:
- Bi-weekly operational meetings with co-op members during the season.
- Occasional administrative tasks, workshop maintenance and shopping trips.
- On-going discussions about strategy and direction for the co-op.
- NOTE: We do NOT handle any toxic chemicals sometimes used in the garden and lawn-care industry.
- Willing to take initiative. Self-motivated and organized.
- Strong communication skills.
- Willing to adapt to varying seasonal schedules including some overtime.
- Comfortable with group decision making.
- Comfortable working outdoors in a variety of conditions.
- Garden experience (ranging from aesthetic gardening to food production).
- Basic carpentry skills.
- Public speaking skills an asset.
- Ability to lift heavy loads (such as moving wheel barrows of soil).
- Comfortable operating small machinery (rototillers, sod cutter, etc.).
- Ability to use various computer software such as using Google Drive, Quickbooks and some design-related software such as SketchUp and Adobe Photoshop / InDesign.
- Other applicable skills: arborist/tree care, composting, greenhouse production, landscape design, permaculture training, farm experience, business/co-operative administration.
- Driver’s licence is required.
- Remuneration begins at $12.25/hour.
- This is a seasonal job (approx. April-October), with hours varying between 20 and 40 hours/week.
- Full membership of the co-operative (becoming a co-owner) is offered following the equivalent of 1 full-season of employment (if deemed a suitable fit for the co-op). Our member share price is $300.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 24th. If chosen as a candidate, Urban Eatin’ will contact you by Friday, August 7th.