Urban Eatin’ Landscapes
(Job Posted March 2016)
Urban Eatin’ Landscapes is hiring. We are a worker-owned and worker-operated business that creates edible gardens, native perennial beds and reclaimed-wood products. We offer garden design services, installation, maintenance, workshops and garden mentorship. We work with both residential clients and community organizations including schools and non-profits. We are looking for an individual who is highly self-motivated, has administrative experience, and is willing to commit to developing Urban Eatin’. We aim to hire someone that has varied and complementary skills and experience, who also brings new ideas and passions to further the food security movement.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Employee duties are delegated and overseen by the co-op’s member-owners, and include:
- Reception: field calls and emails, including new consultation and work requests.
- Scheduling: create and adjust the schedule of consultations, installation, maintenance, meetings, workshops, grant applications, and other tasks to be carried out by employees.
- Office: pro-actively organize receipts, invoices, forms and files (digital and paper).
- Bookkeeping: Pay bills, reimbursements and perform basic bookkeeping.
- Payroll: record timesheets and prepare and/or submit payroll (bi-weekly).
- Communications: help prepare occasional social media posts and e-newsletters.
- Communicating regularly with employees via email and phone.
- Assisting employees with customer service and accounts receivables.
Employees will also be involved in:
- Bi-weekly operational meetings throughout the season.
- Occasional administrative tasks, shop maintenance and supply trips.
- Acting as liaison with the public and private sectors: developing community relations.
- On-going discussions about strategy and direction for the co-op.
- Willing to take initiative. Self-motivated and organized.
- Strong communication skills.
- A passion for gardening, the environment and sustainability.
- Willing to adapt to a variable seasonal schedule and workload.
- Comfortable with group decision making.
- Some office and business administrative experience.
- Comfortable using various computer software and cloud services such as using Google Drive, Quickbooks Online, WordPress, MailChimp, Trello and some design-related software such as SketchUp and Adobe InDesign.
- Some gardening experience (ranging from aesthetic gardening to food production).
- Knowledge of, or experience with, the co-op and/or worker co-op business model.
- Driver’s licence is an asset.
- Remuneration begins at $15/hour.
- This is a seasonal job (approx. April 15-October 31), with hours at 12-16hrs/week, preferably split Mon/Wed/Fri.
- Some work can be done remotely or from home, but it is expected that you will work from the Urban Eatin’ office at least 2 days per week.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 5pm on Monday, March 14th. In support of anti-discriminatory ‘blind-recruitment’ policies, we welcome applicants to omit their names, graduation dates and any other ethnic, gender or self-identifying details. If chosen as a candidate, Urban Eatin’ will contact you by Wed. March 23rd.