Position: Gardener / Landscaper
Urban Eatin’ Landscapes
(Job Posted February 2017)
Urban Eatin’ Landscapes worker co-op is hiring. We are a worker-owned and worker-operated business that installs edible gardens, native perennial beds, reclaimed-wood products and other landscaping services. We offer garden design services, installation, maintenance, workshops and mentorship. We work with residential clients and numerous community organizations including schools and non-profits. We are looking for an individual with gardening/landscaping experience, basic carpentry skills, and who is highly self-motivated and willing to commit to the long-term development of the co-op as as a member. We aim to include members that have varied and complementary skills and experience, and who bring new ideas and passions to further our services, products and the food security movement as a whole.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Employee duties are delegated and overseen by the co-op members, and would include:
- General labour for installation of gardens and other landscaping services (moving soil, plants, gravel, wood, stone).
- General vegetable and perennial garden and plant care (weeding, digging, tilling, planting, pruning, harvesting).
- Communicating regularly with the office co-ordinator and other members via email and phone.
- Constructing raised beds, compost bins, trellises, pergolas, arbors and other wood and reclaimed-wood products.
- Increasingly assist members with client consultations, designs and estimates/quotes.
Other duties include:
- Regular operational meetings with co-op members throughout the season.
- Occasional administrative tasks, shop/tool maintenance and supply trips.
- On-going discussions about strategy and direction for the co-op’s services and products.
NOTE: We do NOT handle any toxic chemicals, and also minimize any use of pressure-treated wood and VOC emitting products.
- Willing to take initiative, self-motivated, organized and efficient.
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach to decision-making.
- A passion for growing food and sustainable / environmental practices.
- Willing to adapt to varying seasonal schedules including working overtime.
- Comfortable working outdoors in a variety of conditions.
- Ability to lift heavy loads (such as moving lumber and wheel barrows).
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Gardening/farming experience (from aesthetic gardening to food production to planting trees).
- Landscaping experience (with stonework and hardscaping being an asset).
- Basic carpentry skills, with a passion to work with reclaimed wood.
- Range of experience/interest in: arborist/tree care, composting, landscape design, greenhouse production, permaculture training, business/co-operative administration.
- Experience operating small power tools/machinery (circular saw, table saw, sod cutter, etc.).
- Experience pricing out estimates/quotes for projects.
- Ability to use computer software such as Google Drive, SketchUp, Google Maps / Earth, Adobe Photoshop / InDesign.
- Comfortable cycling in Winnipeg with a bike trailer, including in the downtown area.
- Driver’s licence is required.
- Remuneration begins at $15/hour.
- This is a full-time, temporary / seasonal job (approx. April-October), with hours averaging 40 hours/week (hours can range from 24 – 50 hours in any given week). We work mostly weekdays, but some weekend work may be required.
- Our goal is to hire a candidate that will join the worker co-op as a worker-member in 2018. One must work a full-season with the co-op before becoming eligible to apply for membership (additional eligibility criteria may also apply).
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 5pm on Monday, March 13th. In support of anti-discriminatory ‘blind-recruitment’ policies, we welcome applicants to omit their names, graduation dates and any other ethnic, gender or self-identifying details (note this is your choice — it is not necessary). If chosen as a candidate, we will contact you by Monday, March 20th.