Position: Student Shop Worker
Urban Eatin’ Landscapes
(Job Posted May 2017)
Urban Eatin’ Landscapes worker co-op is hiring a student for part-time work. We are a worker-owned and worker-operated business that installs edible gardens, native perennial beds, reclaimed-wood products and other landscaping services. We offer garden design services, installation, maintenance, workshops and mentorship. We work with residential clients and numerous community organizations including schools. We are looking for an individual with basic carpentry and gardening/landscaping experience to help us construct our products, process lumber, and maintain our workshop in the Social Enterprise Centre (765 Main St.). They will also coordinate some community gardening initiatives in the Winnipeg North neighbourhoods.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Employee duties are delegated and overseen by the office co-ordinator and co-op members, and include:
- Assisting with the construction of raised beds, compost bins, trellises and other wood and reclaimed-wood products.
- Using basic woodshop tools such as drills, mitre saw, table saw, planer, chop saw, etc.
- Analyzing and processing salvaged and reusable materials such as beams and pallets.
- Working with office co-ordinator and other members on what projects need to to be completed.
- Loading/unloading tools, cleaning tools/shop, sharpening tools, sweeping shop.
- Watering and tending to plants as needed.
- Acting as liaison with the North End Food Security Network (NEFSN) and other Winnipeg North community organizations to strategize any relevant community gardening initiatives or work bees.
- Attending community gardening events and workshops in Winnipeg North.
Other duties include:
- Occasional operational meetings with co-op members throughout the season.
- Occasional administrative tasks, shop/tool maintenance and supply trips.
NOTE: We do NOT handle toxic chemicals, and also minimize use of pressure-treated wood and VOC emitting products.
- Willing to take initiative, self-motivated, organized and efficient.
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach to decision-making.
- A passion for growing food and sustainable / environmental practices.
- Willing to adapt to varying seasonal schedules.
- Comfortable working in a workshop as well as outdoors in varying weather.
- Ability to lift heavy loads (such as moving lumber and wheel barrows).
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Basic carpentry skills, with a passion to work with reclaimed wood.
- Experience operating small power tools/machinery (circular saw, table saw, sod cutter, etc.).
- Range of experience/interest in: arborist/tree care, composting, landscape design, greenhouse production, permaculture training, business/co-operative administration.
- Ability to use computer software such as Google Drive, SketchUp, Adobe Lightroom.
- Comfortable cycling in Winnipeg with a bike trailer.
- Having a driver’s licence is preferred.
- Remuneration begins at $12/hour.
- Must have been a student 2016-2017, and intending to return to school in the fall of 2017.
- This is a part-time, temporary / seasonal job (288 hours from May-Aug), with hours averaging 20 hours/week (hours can range from 8- 24 hours in any given week). We work mostly weekdays, but some weekend work may be required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday, May 12th. We support anti-discriminatory ‘blind-recruitment’ policies, however this job is supported by Canada Summer Student Jobs and encourages the hiring of priority students (including visible minorities), so please state any relevant information in your resume and/or cover letter. If chosen as a candidate, we will contact you by Friday, May 19th.